Aquatics Instructor, BSA Retraining
4 day course; begins with lunch Saturday-ends Tuesday after breakfast
Aquatics and Shooting Sports
Four-day course for individuals in the final year (or not later than six (6) months following the date of expiration) of a valid Aquatics Instructor - BSA certificate of training includes an update of new items related to aquatics instruction, lifeguard techniques and BSA aquatics programs.
Must meet all the pre-requisites as outlined for aquatics section enrollment:
Before acceptance into the Aquatics Section on the opening day of the National Camping School, an Aquatics section participant must:
- Be 18 years of age or older. Note: you must be 21 to hold the position of Aquatics Director in a local council camp
- Present evidence of a current lifeguard certification (BSA Lifeguard, Red Cross Lifeguard, or equivalent).
- Present evidence of completion of Safe Swim Defense and Safety Afloat training. Acceptable evidence will be the on-line Safe Swim Defense or Safety Afloat certificates of completion or signed Safe Swim Defense and Safety Afloat pocket cards.
- Be able to complete the 100 yard BSA swimmers test.
- Immediately after completion of the swimmers test, swim continuously for an additional 450 yards.
- Immediately after completion of the 450 yard swim, tread water for two minutes.
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards using a front crawl or breaststroke, surface dive 7 to 10 feet, retrieve a 10-pound object, surface, swim with the object 20 yards back to the starting point, and exit the water within one minute and 40 seconds
Failure to satisfy any of the above criteria will prevent acceptance of the participant into the Aquatics Section