BSA Scouting Pistol Safety and Marksmanship Instructor training
3 day course; begins Friday at 8 am - ends Sunday by 5 pm
Aquatics and Shooting Sports
The Instructor candidates must agree to the terms of the training listed below:
1) Be approved by the local council professional and the local council shooting sports chairman to participate in this training.
2) Agree to help the local council in their year-round and summer camp BSA Scouting Pistol Safety & Marksmanship program.
3) Both candidates must be a certified NRA Pistol Instructor. (At least one of the candidates must also be a NRA Range Safety Officer.)
4) The candidates must have read and reviewed the NRA First Steps Pistol Instructor Syllabus, the BSA Scouting Pistol Safety and Marksmanship Handbook and the BSA Scouting Pistol Safety and Marksmanship Instructor addendum.
5) The candidates must have practiced and rehearsed delivering the First Steps Pistol Instructor Training as they will be asked to deliver several sessions to the course instructors. The course instructors will be making recommendations for improvement and then the instructor candidate will have a chance to rehearse again after lunch on Friday. On Saturday all instructor candidates will be evaluated again when they deliver lessons to Boy Scouts who will be present for the entire BSA Scouting Pistol Safety and Marksmanship class.
6) If instructor candidates pass the evaluations, then they will be awarded the privilege of being the chief personnel on the range to operate a BSA Scouting Pistol Safety and Marksmanship program within the council.
7) This is a pass/fail course and everyone will do the best to help instructor candidates to succeed but there is no guarantee of passing.